Thursday, August 21, 2014

Of Capsules, Time, Wardrobe, and Other

Today my children begin school, but for my eldest the day day is even more special, as it marks the beginning of not only high school but of a uniform-free wardrobe.

Here's a time-capsule type of memory: my experience was the reverse. In Grade 10 (which marked the beginning of high school in Canada) I moved to a uniform, complete with hand-tied necktie.  It was soooo easy.

Because before that, I remember spending an enormous amount of time choosing my outfit for the following day--trying on item after item, accepting and rejecting looks over and over again.  My uniform was a capsule wardrobe, if you will: five easy pieces before Bob Rafelson TMed the concept.  (Or maybe it was Donna Karan's seven easy pieces, also TMed. Note those iconic bodysuits, above.  I had a couple.)

One dress, many ways.

No matter--the limited choice was, as noted above, easy.

Today I still follow that capsule concept: I have little clothing, but clothes I really like.  Dresses are key, because they're easier than easy.  But with the advent of high school and its style challenges?  I may need another sort of capsule.

3 comments:

K.Line said...

Was Grade 10 the start of high school in the east? We all started in Grade 9 (still do). The diff now is that the program is only 4 years (to Grade 12). Back in our day, it was 5 years (to Grade 13).

Miss Cavendish said...

It's all coming back now. I had forgotten about Grade 13 in Ontario (and beyond?)! Yes, we East Coasters counted junior high from 7-9 and then high school from 10-12. How old were Grade 13 grads? We were all 18 at the end of 12 . . .

materfamilias said...

Interesting. Generally in BC, high school is Grades 8-12 although there are middle schools that do 6-8. I wore a uniform (Catholic school) until the all-girl school I went to for 8-10 closed and I was thrust in a coed 8-12 with 2700 students. Somewhat terrifying, but I did enjoy playing with a wider range of clothes for the first time. And never tied my own tie again.... Best wishes for you and your daughter as she enters this new world...