Saturday, July 19, 2008

Indian Summer; or Yes to Anokhi

When I was an undergraduate in Ottawa, I took my second year off and went to work for a local designer. Her boutique, Sarah Clothes, sold clothing, linens, and unparalleled silver jewelry.

Sarah designed the clothes and collaborated on the hand-blocked prints with Anokhi in Jaipur, India. The results were simply stunning fabrics.

In fact, I met my husband (some six years later) the evening I was wearing a blue/green hand-block printed sundress. (I’m probably going to make it into a couple of quilts or somesuch for my daughters one day.)

Although I’ve thought of the Ottawa boutique from time to time, Anokhi had completely slipped my mind until yesterday, when I was browsing through the July/August issue of Selvedge, the gorgeous textile magazine. (It’s light on text, heavy on textiles.)

The theme of the issue was “Indian Summer,” and one photo spread highlighted the Anokhi company, which is now run by the founder’s son and his London-born, fashion-designer trained wife.

Anokhi makes beautiful bedspreads and scarves, as well as bohemian dresses and jackets. Here’s a sampling from East Clothing's Web site:




Casual and easy boho pieces for summer.

8 comments:

K.Line said...

You're always full of surprises, Miss C. I love that you met your husband while wearing the dress, and that you'll immortalize it for your daughters in that way...

PS - Thought "light on text, heavy on textiles" was hilarious!

Elizabeth said...

Those look perfect. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some things from that line.

What a nice tie-in to the happy memory of meeting your hubbo.

Sarah said...

My mother was old friends with Sarah - in fact, I was named after her! I've always wondered if it were possible to find any of her clothing anymore...

Miss Cavendish said...

Great to find someone else who knows the line! I still have some scarves and, of course, my dress.

Anonymous said...

Where can we buy her beautiful clothes un 2013??? I miss the store on Dalousie .....

Elizabeth said...

wonderfull design cotton pieces,,,i live in Australia., could you give me a link of contact to buy these ,,,,thanyou in advance x

Miss Cavendish said...

http://www.east.co.uk/anokhi/

Please see above for the most recent link re: similar clothing.

And here is a link to Anohki's shopping page: http://www.anokhiusa.com/

Thanks for asking!

Mallory said...

Thought someone might be interested.. I have a gorgeous dress by Anokhi for Sarah Clothes on eBay right now. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231219420370?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649