Sunday, March 9, 2008

Eighties Redux


Last night I went to a birthday bash with an “eighties” theme. I conjured my best early Madonna, with shades of Jennifer Beals, Cyndi Lauper, and a touch of Azzedine Alaia.

Here’s what I wore:

Black high heels, multi, multi, multi-strapped á la Alaia mid eighties;

Black footless tights, of course, falling at just the right spot on my calves, neither too short nor too long;

Authentic eighties Calvin Klein black circle skirt, just above knee;

Navy long sleeve thick cotton t-shirt, neck cropped á la Flashdance by moi, just before putting it on;

Black bra (a simple Hanro) for display when above-mentioned neckline scooted down my shoulder (often);

Long hair teased into a large pouf; anchored with a black hair tie;

Authentic eighties enormous silver hoops;

Lots of mascara and red lipstick.

I was surprised by how much I actually liked that look! Or at least components of it. I haven’t been tempted to try footless tights/leggings for years, but now I’m psyched to get a simple spring dress and go for it. I have my eye on this one from Christiane Celle.

And how I miss Alaia in the eighties! I had an undergraduate’s affordable version of one of his ballerina dresses: goldenrod thick-cotton-and-spandex leotard upper that flared out into a short, fluttery, and totally cool skirt. I do also love his recent ballet coats and, well, practically anything he designs. Does anyone have an authentic Alaia garment?
Image of Alaia dress from V&A museum

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This sounds really, really great! I don't have any Alaia, but I think Miss WendyB has some shoes. Does that count?

WendyB said...

Alaia has NEVER fit me right. I used to try pieces on but now I don't even bother. :-(

riz said...

THAT dress is genius!!